12 October 2007

WHAT'S THE JOB?




Read these rules:


1. You mustn't go out with men.
2. You mustn't marry during the time of your contract.
3. You must be home between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.
4. Your dresses mustn't be shorter than two inches(=pulgadas) above your ankle.
5. You mustn't travel beyond the city limits without the permission your boss.
6. You mustn't ride in a carriage or automobile with a man.
7. You mustn't dress in bright colors.
8. You mustn't dye(=teñir) your hair.
9. You must wear two petticoats(=enaguas).
10. You mustn't go to ice cream shops.




In the past, when a woman wanted to work as a ??????????????,
She had to obey those RULES.

What's the JOB? And, now, a more difficult question: can you guess the YEAR?


Please, write down your answers and your opinion about the rules.

Here is a little CLUE (a song from a famous film...).
Gangsters Paradise – Coolio

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realise there's not much left
Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that
Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
But I ain’t never crossed a man that didn't deserve it
Me be treated like a punk, you know that's unheard of
You better watch how you talking, and where you walking
Or you and your homies might be lined in chalk
I really hate to trip but I gotta lope
As they croak I see myself in the pistol smoke ... fool
I'm the kinda G that little homies want to be like
On my knees in the night, saying prayers in the street light
They been spending most their lives living in the gangsta's paradise
We keep spending most our lives living in the gangsta's paradise

Look at the situation, they got me facing
I can't live a normal life, I was raised by the strip
So I gotta be down with the hood team
Too much television watching got me chasing dreams
I'm a educated fool with money on my mind
Got my 10 in my hand and a gleam in my eye
I'm a loped out gangsta set trippin banger
And my homies is down so don’t arouse my anger ... fool
Death ain’t nothing but a heartbeat away
I'm living life do or die, what can I say
I'm 23 now but will I live to see 24
The way things is going I don't know

Tell me why are we so blind to see
That the ones we hurt are you and me.

They been spending most their lives living in the gangsta's paradise
We keep spending most our lives living in the gangsta's paradise
Power and the money, money and the power
Minute after minute, hour after hour
Everybody's running, but half of them ain’t looking
What's going on in the kitchen, but I don't know what's cooking
They say I've got to learn but nobody's here to teach me
If they can't understand it, how can they reach me
I guess they can'tI guess they won'tI guess they front
That's why I know my life is out of luck ... fool

They been spending most their lives living in the gangsta's paradise
We keep spending most our lives living in the gangsta's paradise
Tell me why are we so blind to see
That the ones we hurt are you and me.
Tell me why are we so blind to see
That the ones we hurt are you and me.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello chari!!

the year is more dificult because the rules don't give more information, but I think "que hace pocos años". (sorry but I don't know write in english)
the blog is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

One clue(=pista): It was more than fifty years ago. The video is a clue about the job, not about the time...

Anonymous said...

Hi! oohh!! It isn't easy! Even, I'm not sure: when I read the clues and I watched the video I though that as far as possible the job could be "a teacher". But when I returned to my computer to solve the question, I read again the clues. They and the video took my in another way. I think that it (the job) can be a nun. All clues maybe are the restrictions for they. Their boss can be God. In the video, possible, the teacher is a nun that she want to help their students. It is my personal opinion about this funny question.
Bye-bye!

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to give you the answer yet. It's good you're thinking and trying. And try to guess the year, too...

Anonymous said...

hi, chari!!!

I'm not sure but I think that this was until the years 1955 because my grand-father told me that on 1945 he had one fight with him father for he want to ride in a carriage with a friend and him girlfriend ride with the friend's girlfriend. they can not ride with their girlfriends.
(¿me as entendio lo que queria decir o lo he puesto mal?)

bye-bye chari

Anonymous said...

Well... It was even before 1955...

Anonymous said...

ok chari, then the year is corret.
It's perfec!

bye!!!!

Anonymous said...

No, it isn't. I sai it was BEFORE that year. Keep trying! And guess the JOB, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi,Chari! I´m Melina 4ºC. I read the rules, but I don't know which is the job. It´s very difficult! I will read again, but I don´t have a idea...It isn´t very easy Chari. The year for what I read, the years 40 or 50, but I´m not sure of which the job. Because in the video speaks of the gangsters paradise ((¿paraiso de los gangsters no?)) or something similar! But I´m not sure!!!!! It´a mess..
I will return again! Bye!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi!! I´m melina again! Chari I saw something of the movie (mentes peligrosas). Gangsters paraside is the sound band of this movie. In the movie, the protagonist is a teacher.Is a teacher of a group of difficult boys. I´m not sure, but Is teacher the job?
Bye!

Anonymous said...

GREAT! You got the right answer, Melina. Now,...the year?

Anonymous said...

Hi!I´m Melina. Chari the year is very difficult! the year in that the first teacher exercised? It´s that I´m not sure! Can you give me some clue? Was it before 1920? Or later?
Chari plis...It isn´t very easy! Bye

Anonymous said...

A bit earlier ...

Anonymous said...

I´m Melina...Chariiiii is very difficult! is the year much before? Was it before 1900? teacher plis.... :-( jeje Bye!!!

Anonymous said...

Chari sorry for plis...I Know that it´s please. It´s a stupid error! jaja.. Bye ahhh teacher answer my question...Was it before 1900? please please please. Bye!

Benjamin said...

You are fantastic!!!
You have found one of my favourite songs. And the most incredible is you have given me THE LETTER? of the song.
I was able to listen and understand only two sentences of the chorus.
Once again, Thank you for being here, looking for interesting information, giving us a reason to keeping studying english.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so interested. It's nice to see this effort is useful (because it's an effort!). By the way "la letra"=the lyrics or the words.

Anonymous said...

SOLUTION: JOB: teacher
YEAR: 1915
COUNTRY: America

Check out the page for more information.:

http://www.pchswi.org/archives/schools/teacher_conduct_1915.html